Monday, May 30, 2011

Potassium supplementation might lead to candida overgrowth

A few weeks after starting to supplement potassium, I came down with what I thought was some sort of cold or flu. After a few weeks of phlegm from Hell, it tapered off to a tolerable level, but I eventually realized that it wasn't going to go away unless I did something about it. To make a long story short, I eventually developed the hypothesis that it was a candida overgrowth, and started searching for a reason for such an outbreak. I then remembered that I had started taking potassium a few weeks before coming down with whatever it was, and performed an internet search to determine if there was a connection. Lo and behold, it appears that there is:
Other mineral indicators of a candida overgrowth are an elevated calcium level, elevated calcium/magnesium ratio, (greater than 10/1) or a low sodium/potassium ratio (less than 2.3/1).

So, I've stopped taking potassium bicarbonate, at least for now.