Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Can I get some fries and ketchup with this crow?

Rev A (see Notes)

It seems that I overlooked a little detail required to purchase more than one ounce of full-strength Lugol's solution at a time: registration with the DEA. I confused it with record-keeping, and none of the companies I contacted about buying bulk quantities mentioned it, or at least emphatically enough to penetrate my skull. Registration is a complex, expensive undertaking reserved for certain companies that handle chemicals, so spend the extra few dollars to purchase one ounce at a time, and get over it.

There is one way to save a few bucks on an ounce of Lugol's solution, and that is to use "lab grade," which, I gather, is made of ACS-grade ingredients but not subjected to USP tests. (I searched extensively, and wasn't able to find anyone who sells anything explicitly identified as "lab grade" Lugol's.) Considering the purity of the ACS-grade ingredients, however, lab-grade Lugol's solution would almost certainly pass the USP tests every time, assuming that such ingredients are used. According the article Iodide/Iodine
by Lewis Ford, lab-grade Lugol's solution is safe to consume.

Notes

Rev A: Improved writing in spots (I hope), and eliminated a quoted passage which defines Lugol's Solution, USP. When I incorporated that passage, I was under the impression that "Lugol's solution" ("lab grade") and "Lugol's Solution, USP" were one and the same, and that anything sold as "Lugol's solution" is required by law to meet pharmaceutical standards. However, I was essentially correct, since anything sold as "Lugol's solution" by a reputable manufacturer typically meets the pharmaceutical standards, due to the purity of the ingredients typically used in the manufacturing process, the simplicity of the process, and the germicidal nature of the compound.